My favorite time of the day is between 6:00 and 6:15 am. This is when Maia and go into Kiana's room and wake up little sister! Kiana is a very light sleeper and often hears us coming before we even get to her door. Up she pops! Eyes open, head alert! I take her from the crib, cooing in and kissing her ear. I lay her on the bed, where she greedily drinks a bottle while big sister blows raspberries on her tummy. At first, Kiana is too hungry to respond. But, soon, she spits out the bottle and flashes the first big smile of the new day...to Maia, of course.
This is my favorite time, but I seldom get to enjoy it. In the moment, I am racing the clock to get kids dressed, fed, packed and carted off to their respective schools. Only later do I get to savor their incredible sisterliness (new word). Sure, I'm the one Kiana wants when she's hungry/tired/hurt/sad/needy. But it's Maia who makes her laugh, and you haven't heard angels sing until you've heard a belly laugh coming from a 15 lb. baby! I know, without a doubt, that since before Kiana or Maia were ever born, they have been sisters.
Kiana isn't yet big enough to drive big-sister crazy or get into her stuff, so all is giggles and laughs. None of the sibling rivalry that is sure bless this house in the years to come. To Maia, sisterhood it is still like having a real-live doll! I know, I know, I should slow down and appreciate these moments, and I do: I just have to appreciate them a little faster than other people. ;^)
FYI: Four months ago yesterday, Kiana came into our family. Four months ago today she finally stopped crying :-)