Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Fire Station

A good friend of mine advised me to chaperone Maia's first field trip so that I could meet the kids in her class and put faces with the names I here about everynight. Thus, I found myself at the local fire station this morning.

It was quite fun, actually. The fire engine and 2 FC SUV's came to the school and escorted us to the fire station, 5 short blocks away. It was like a parade, with the fire vehicles blocking the streets from other cars. At the fire station we got to meet all of the firemen and paramedics on duty. We even got to see Sparky the Fire Dog slide down the fire pole! After instruction on fire safety, pictures and a walk through a real-live fire engine, we walked back to school.

It was especially fun to see Maia interact with her classmates. These are 6 kids who I remember the best(I'm not using their names...you understand):
-Girl #1 is one of those kids with a perpetual smile, which right now is missing 2 top teeth. Too cute! Girl #1 is bi-lingual, which Maia finds fascinating.
-Maia decided to be Girl #2's friend the very first day they met. She is a tall, regal young lady.
-Here's a coincidence: Girl #3 is adopted from Ho Chi Minh City by a single mom!
-I'll get in trouble for this someday: Boy #1 is Maia's 2nd choice boyfriend (her BFF's brother is her 1st choice!) He's a quiet boy, and when I asked Maia why she likes him she replied, "He's soooo cute!"
-Boy #2 is about the cutest little boy I ever met! He's very small but with dimples bigger than his face! I wanted to take him home! Maia must agree, because he is her 3rd choice boyfriend!
-Boy #3 is a head taller than any other kid in class and he's as sweet as could be. He wanted to hold my hand on the walk to the fire station.

I can't wait for the next field trip!