Tonight, quite out of nowhere, Maia declared that she would start sleeping in her own bed.
For those of you who don't know, I lost the battle of the beds just over 4 years ago when Maia, in an incredible feat of will, stayed awake screaming in her crib for two weeks, until I cried "Uncle" and let her sleep with me. There she's been ever since. Oh, sure, I've tried to get her to sleep in her own room: bribes, threats, even putting her in there after she fell asleep, only to find her snuggled next to me come morning.
This day, however, with no prompting from me, Maia decided that she would add sleeping in her own room to her daily chore chart! There were a few moments of regret at bedtime, but she gamely jumped into her own bed and has been happily sleeping there ever since!
Tuesday, November 14 -- Oh, that's why
I'm stretched diagonally across my huge bed, nestled into the down comforter that I've just pulled out of the closet in anticipation of the coldest night in 8 months. This is my 3rd night without Maia and I'm rejoicing in the spaciousness.
But a thought nags me: why haven't I ever slept diagonally like this before?
And that's when I realize: this is the first time in over 20 years that I've slept alone in my own bed! Consider this:
- Twenty-two years ago, Katie the cat took up residence on the pillow next to mine.
- Fifteen years ago, I invited Carson to sleep on the bed: I figured if he was on the bed then he couldn't eat my shoes. It worked!
- Twelve years ago, Skammie decided that if Katie and Carson got to sleep on the bed, so did he!
Katie, Carson and Skammie have moved to the Happy Hunting Ground, and their successors, Gracie and Princess, prefer their own beds to mine. So that's how I can now sleep diagonally, sideways or upsidedown in my own bed. At least until Kiana moves in.
Thursday, November 16 -- Look at me, Mom!
Kiana demonstrated her ability to walk while just holding on to our fingers...and she's quite proud of herself! It won't be long now until she's bi-mobile.
Saturday, November 18 -- Peek-a-boo!
Our clever little girl lifts her magic blanket over her head and then pulls it down...peek-a-boo! She even plays it with Gracie! She's always loved peek-a-boo, but now that she can control the blanket she chortles with laughter! The most beautiful sound in the worl!
Monday, November 20 -- An unwelcome first
Maia had her first cavity filled today. The dentist forsaw this over 3 years ago during her first exam. Evidently, this particular tooth has a little ridge where it's near impossible for a brush or floss to clean.
Maia shed 2 large tears when Dr. Kiley injected the novacaine, but was a model patient for the drilling and filling. That's my girl!
No comments:
Post a Comment